Skip to main content

OW, OW ,OW…ow, ow, ow, ow….

Yes, these are the cries of pain.  These are my muscles screaming out in agony…”why are you doing this to us? We want to go back to the way it used to be?”  Believe it or not, I have not worked out in almost two months since this nasty little chest infection took my lungs hostage.  It’s been a long trip, filled with steroids, inhalers, antibiotics, and other assorted medications, but alas, I have been released from my arrested breathing and have begun to cautiously join the world of the living again.  Of course, nothing is as easy as it seems, because now my itchy, sneezy, wheezy, coughing, allergy afflicted six-year old suffers the same fate as his mama and is on the same course of drugs.  Let’s just say that steroids on a six-year old can turn a seemingly sweet, even-tempered child into the incredible hulk on speed.

I specifically switched his dosage time from morning to late afternoon, because I really like his teacher and didn’t want her to have to bear the full brunt of his manic, off- the-wall behavior.  Yep, I took a hit for the teacher.

Back to my muscles, they hurt.  Walking up and down the stairs is brutal and yet I am going back for more punishment today because my screaming muscles have atrophied. They have become lazy, mushy, and very unattractive.  Did I mention that I modified my workout…that’s right, I took it easy so the instructor wouldn’t have to pick me up off the floor and force Albuterol down the throat.   Instead of squatting with a 40 lb. punching bag, I used baby weights and in lieu of a 10lb ball for ab work, I used a 4lb. ball and still my muscles hurt so badly, it’s beyond the sweet pain of a job well done.  Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow and ….OW! 

Yes, I am in pain, but eventually it will pass with every subsequent workout and slowly, I will return to my advanced level once again.  Until then, I suppose a little patience is in order.  I’m really bad at patience, but my muscles are a constant reminder that patience is definitely a virtue.  OW!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Ain't No Cake of Affliction

As promised here is the first of some of my most treasured allergy free recipes for Passover.  I hope you enjoy them and use them as part of your tradition for a happy and safe holiday. Chocolate Cake (adapted from Nava Atlas’s Chocolate Cake recipe) This cake is so good, it’s a shame I only make it on Passover. It’s very fudgy and rich, and trust me you can’t eat too much of it at once and yet, the whole thing disappears in minutes. Try it for yourself. It’s super easy and it's egg, nut, dairy and can be made gluten free with gluten free cake meal. This picture is two cakes stacked with raspberry jam in the middle and a ganache topping-it makes a great birthday cake if your birthday lands on Passover. Ingredients-for one cake 5/8 cup cake meal (1/2 cup + 1/8) ¼ cup+ 1 ½ tbsp. Potato starch 3 TBSP cocoa powder 1 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. baking powder (you can use the Kosher for Passover one) ½ tsp. salt ¼ cup oil 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar 1 tsp. v

TREE-ting the Problem-Doing the Right Thing is Never Easy

Apparently, a purple plum tree only has a life expectancy of 20 years or so.   I never realized that some trees have life expectancies, like humans. Unlike us, I always assumed that trees would live forever.   I mean, isn’t that the point of planting a tree anyway?   So that after we are long gone, the tree is still there like a pillar of strength continuing to emit life to all those who look at it? The tree that has been loyally standing in front of our house for 22 years (we have lived here for 14 years) only slightly defied these statistics, though, the ominous crack down the middle and the straggly blooms fearfully indicated that its demise was imminent.   After all, I didn’t want it to come crashing down on the house, or, more importantly, on one of the kids playing in the driveway.   No, the practical side of me prevailed on the side of safety, the emotional side…well, that was a completely different ballgame.   In the end, I decided it was for the best; my husband and I pick