Skip to main content

Embracing a Mission You Didn’t Ask For

I have been thinking a lot lately about what influences our “missions” in life.  I think this philosophical deliberation stems from the slew of 5k’s, fun runs, and walks that are occuring over the next few weeks in our neighborhood.  I also have a close cadre of friends whose children successfully triumphed over life threatening disease and are embracing it as their mission.
 I often wonder how these parents and countless others handle such scary situations with such ferocity, dignity and grace.   I marvel at their courageousness, and their relentless advocacy whether it’s with insurance companies, doctors, races, walks, and community programs all while trying to provide some semblance of normalcy to their family’s lives.  Moreover, I am amazed at their inner strength to embrace these issues as their life missions.   I always used to think, that if faced with such terrifying adversity, I would simply crumble.  Where would I find the inner strength to take on my child’s illness and then make it a part of my life’s mission? A mission I clearly didn’t ask for.
Of course, it’s selfishly easier to not focus on such things.  These aren’t the missions we set out for when we have children.  I readily admit that while I always supported my friends with donations, or particpation, I was secretly relieved that I didn’t have to take on any of these missions personally. 
Sometimes, we don’t go looking for a mission, rather, it finds us. It seems like food allergies have become my mission, even though it wasn’t a part of my life’s blueprint (then again, I never expected to be a stay home mom either).  My “mission” doesn’t include philanthropy or races per se, rather, my tools of advocacy are the written word.  If I can inform, educate, provide awareness, or just comfort, not to mention viscerally protect my child, then, life takes on more meaning.  
Here’s what I learned about myself over the last three years.  While I don’t consider myself the bravest, or even the most resourceful, I have nonetheless tapped into an inner strength I never knew I had.  It took a while, along with a lot of crying, guilt, and resistance, but I emerged with a stronger sense of purpose.   It’s a strange feeling when your life shifts course due to a set of circumstances you never expected or even wanted.   Suddenly, it becomes the backdrop of your life, the new normal and you have two choices; concede or unleash your dormant inner strength that can make a difference to not just you, but many others as well. 

Comments

  1. Totally agree. I never would have dreamed I'd become an advocate of any kind, much less for allergies, eczema, and asthma. How did it happen? Why didn't we just take the cards we were dealt and fold? In my case, I think it was the frustrations I felt for myself and for my son, and the disbelief that it has too be so difficult...there must be an easier way to cook and to cope.

    I came across your site on the Circle of Mom's top 25 Food Allergy Mom Blogs. It's given me the idea to start a blog hop for allergies, asthma and eczema - parents or adults dealing with the condition. Please check out the page here and add a comment if you'd like to join. Thanks!

    http://itchylittleworld.wordpress.com/blog-hop/

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This Ain't No Cake of Affliction

As promised here is the first of some of my most treasured allergy free recipes for Passover.  I hope you enjoy them and use them as part of your tradition for a happy and safe holiday. Chocolate Cake (adapted from Nava Atlas’s Chocolate Cake recipe) This cake is so good, it’s a shame I only make it on Passover. It’s very fudgy and rich, and trust me you can’t eat too much of it at once and yet, the whole thing disappears in minutes. Try it for yourself. It’s super easy and it's egg, nut, dairy and can be made gluten free with gluten free cake meal. This picture is two cakes stacked with raspberry jam in the middle and a ganache topping-it makes a great birthday cake if your birthday lands on Passover. Ingredients-for one cake 5/8 cup cake meal (1/2 cup + 1/8) ¼ cup+ 1 ½ tbsp. Potato starch 3 TBSP cocoa powder 1 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. baking powder (you can use the Kosher for Passover one) ½ tsp. salt ¼ cup oil 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar 1 tsp. v

Cookies for Breakfast-(Gluten,egg,dairy and nut free)

As allergy moms, we have to learn how to re-feed our families from scratch.  Ten years ago, this was not a simple task as we did not have the explosive array of allergy free items we have today.  However, just because we have more extensive choices, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s healthy.  In fact, I have noticed that the preponderance of allergy items is snack food, cake mixes, cookies, etc… Moreover, I found it curious that many food allergy parents such as myself, were actually gaining weight, probably because we were always baking for our kiddos so they wouldn’t feel left out at school, family events, birthday parties and playdates.  While I felt good about being able to provide these tasty alternatives, my fitness and nutrition goals were less than stellar and in need of an overhaul. As a trainer and nutrition consultant with a lot of experience in limited diets, I am constantly trying to create healthy alternatives that won’t break the caloric bank, provide nutrition, and

Thanksgiving Recipe-"Cheesecake Cuties"

Thanksgiving is typically the portal to guilty holiday overeating, resulting in New Year's resolutions which are routinely broken by January 15th. Sound familiar? It's a vicious cycle. Moreover, for those of us with food allergies, these types of holidays are landmines. We are constantly surrounded by string beans almondine, pecan pie, walnut brownies, stuffing with egg, and the list goes on.  As a writer about nutrition, a recently appointed trainer at ThePerfectWorkout , and a mom with children suffering from multiple food allergies, I am trying to balance holiday consumption and safety-not always an easy thing to juggle especially when it comes to dessert. This Thanksgiving, try this recipe for "Cheesecake Cuties." They are nut, dairy, egg and gluten free. They are petite,creamy and incredibly easy to make. They won't break your calorie bank (unless you eat all 24) they are safe for those allergy challenged, and they really taste great. There is no reason